Thread: '84 Accord Hatchback

Vehicle
    '84 Accord Hatchback

'84 Accord Hatchback

Hey!

I bought this car a few weeks back after crashing my '07 Mazda 3. I needed something cheap and reliable for my wife to drive to/from work.

I plan on maintaining it and possibly adding a few cosmetic mods (in good taste) so my wife hates me less for making her drive it.

I guess I can't post pics until I have 5 posts... so, I'll be back with pics later.

Edit: As promised, some pickchars.

Also, my 2007 Mazda 3 and 2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5

I have a lot of stuff done to each of the Mazdas but the pic of the Miata is when I got it stock about 1 1/2 years ago.
    Last edited by Nicktorius; 12-31-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

Re: '84 Accord Hatchback

welcome! from whidbey island...

3Geez Veteran

Welcome! From Renton...

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Welcome! From New Zealand...

Vehicle
    '84 Accord Hatchback

Thanks for the welcomes! It's cool to see some locals.

Although I'm not new to the import scene, I'm new to Hondas. After lurking for a few hours this looks like a great community and I'm excited to get my car into shape.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Welcome from California!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    VW Polo G40, 1986 Aerodeck EX (sold), 1987 Aerodeck EXi (RIP)

Welcome from The Netherlands!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Welcome from Vegas! It sucks that you crashed your mazda 3 but glad you joined our forum and pics of the accord would be nice.

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

hey! i gots a miata as well!

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Welcome from Maple Valley! I have an 84 Accord as well... and I used to have a Miata.

Vehicle
    '84 Accord Hatchback

PLEASE HELP! My wife was driving the Accord to work the other morning and it had a hard time getting up a hill, then on the highway it sputtered out. Washington State Patrol towed it a few hours later because I couldn't get the insurance to tow it away quick enough.

When I got to the impound lot, the car started but the engine was shaking pretty fiercely. I drove about 100 ft before it slightly jerked and sputtered out again. I then had it towed home. The battery has a good charge and the fuel tank is full. Some mechanic at the lot said it might be a distributor coil and he could fix it. I told him I would check it out myself and get back to him(he was kinda creepy/weird lol).

I've searched the forums but have no clue where to start(distributor? carb? fuel pump?). I'm a visual learner so telling me to check something without pictures is kinda useless since I'm not familiar with this car at all. Any links to pictures of this engine with stuff labeled would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have any suggestions? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being mechanically inclined/knowledge of these cars, I'm about a 4 but I'm smart enough to figure out most things with some guidance.

Currently looking through all FAQ's, I'm not using this thread as my only resource. Thanks!
    Last edited by Nicktorius; 01-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord EX - Single Port EFI, 4 doors Aut.

For me, not having the strength to climb a hill & sputtering out, sounds like timing problems.

Basic tools: A vacuum pump and a timing light.

Start checking the vacuum advance of the dizzy, it has two hoses going to the dizzy, both diaphragms must hold vacuum. The outer hose is used only when cold to give some more degrees of advance, and the inner one is used all the time.

Then check the timing with the hoses disconnected from the dizzy (and plug them off) and you must be able to at least see the timing marks. if not, adjust accordingly. Search for the manual and you will get drawings & location of every single component of the car.

It is possible also, than one vacuum hose got disconnected due to the car sputtering off. It should be one of the bigger OD hoses coming out directly from the intake manifold.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'd start with a compression test. I've heard countless kill stories that contain the phrase "lost power on the freeway." Head gasket failure and overheating spring immediately to mind.

Just a word to the wise: when the wife hates the car, expect it to die horribly in all kinds of wonderful ways. When you confront her, she will give you a blank stare, shrug her shoulders and act like you're speaking Mandarin. Just get her a different car. Unless you want to spend a lot of money fixing this one.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    '84 Accord Hatchback

I just need this car to last 3 months until she deploys then we'll get a new(er) car when she gets back. I know what you mean though about the wifes reaction - been there, done that.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm definitely going to look into those. There don't seem to be any hoses disconnected though.

I managed to drive the car around the block twice, it continually felt like it was going to die so I kept giving it gas. When I got it back to the house I put it in park, waited a few minutes, put it back in drive and it stalled. I'm beginning to think it may be a fuel/spark issue.

Welcome from Virginia!!

Vehicle
    '84 Accord Hatchback

Update:

I put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, a new air filter, and new spark plugs and wires in the car and it seems like it works It's still kinda hard to tell though because of the crappy road conditions up here in Seattle lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantum View Post
    Welcome from Virginia!!
    Thanks! I'm originally from Hampton Roads area. My father now lives in Culpeper which is right next to you.