Thread: Knock Sensor help!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback

Knock Sensor help!

Okay it's not a 3g its a 92 lx accord. I posted on another web site but no one has given me any info. Maybe you guys can help me!

Car just faid california smog because of the knock sensor at 25 mph. What does this mean? what is a knock sensor? is my car f*&ed up? can it be fixed? how bad is this? I really need some help here!
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    its a really simple sensor thats on the side of the block. Pretty easy to repair and not too expensive. Just look for a diagram for your motor and it'll show you where it is.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer
    its a really simple sensor thats on the side of the block. Pretty easy to repair and not too expensive. Just look for a diagram for your motor and it'll show you where it is.
    Not too expensive?? Your on crack. Mine cost $150 new from Honda.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    so you think i should still follow all the way through with the purchase of this car. its not in my name yet because the other party has to smog it first. should I be worried about the car?
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    I thought the 92 lx accords had O2 sensors not knock sensors? Is the shop trying to D!CK me? Or does this year and model really have a knock sensor? I'm so confused
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by 88LXi68
    Not too expensive?? Your on crack. Mine cost $150 new from Honda.
    my bad. i was thinking about another one

if the knock sensor is out and you have to have it smog tested too, i'd take it to a mechanic and have it gone over completely. There may or may not be more problems with it.
    Last edited by NXRacer; 01-30-2004 at 10:00 AM.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub07
    I thought the 92 lx accords had O2 sensors not knock sensors? Is the shop trying to D!CK me? Or does this year and model really have a knock sensor? I'm so confused

Honestly...I was kind of unsure if that model had a knock sensor, because originally only VTEC engines came with them, and now I believe many of the newer engine have them. I had to add a knock sensor to my B18A1 Integra block (1990). I would double check to see if the F series non vtec came with one.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    go to www.cb7-tuner.com or www.accordinglydone.com. both sites have too tech info about 4th gen and up accords.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    thanks for the reply. I've been to cb7 but its pretty quiet there. i tried the other link so we'll see what up. thanks again
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    both those sites aren't too busy, but they have REALLY good info and not a lot of bullshit like HT (esp accordinglydone).
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK
    150 aint bad for a sensor from Honda.......

ha ha ha......ask them how much an ECU is....or better....a distributor! ha ha ha ha...like over a grand each!
    Drive fast and learn fast to drive slow....drive slow and learn slow....that you can drive fast!!!

Vehicle
    86 2.0Si JDM DOHC Accord
    Here's a bit of info i scanned that may help you
    Detonation sensor

Some later engine management systems incorporate a detonation sensor which detects engine knock conditions. The sensor is screwed into either the cylinder head or intake manifold.

If detonation (pinging) is present the sensor will pick up the vibrations and transmit an electrical signal to the electronic control unit. The electronic control unit will then measure the detonation and retard the ignition timing or open a turbo waste gate to eliminate the problem.

A detonation sensor can usually be checked using the following generalised procedures.

1 . Remove the wiring connector from the detonation sensor and check the sensor for continuity with a digital ohmmeter. If continuity exists reconnect the connector and test the sensor further as follows.

2. Install a timing light to the engine following the equipment manufacturer's instructions.

3. Start the engine and, whilst observing the ignition timing with the timing light, tap the engine with a small hammer near the detonation sensor. If the sensor is operating the ignition timing should change. Repeat the test a few times ensuring that the ignition timing retards when the engine is tapped with the small hammer.

4. If the detonation sensor showed continuity with the ohmmeter test but there was no change noted on the knock test, then there is a possibility there is a problem in the wiring harness or electronic control unit.

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    none of the 4g accord's came with a knock sensor, only the prelude's