Thread: 89 Accord Weber 32/36 swap backfire

Vehicle
    1989 Accord

89 Accord Weber 32/36 swap backfire

Hiya,

This weekend i got my car running with a Weber 32/36 kit for my 89 Accord. After getting it running using my little peanut brain and some common sense it ran perfectly fine on 1k RPM's. Though when i shut it off it backfired into the intake manifold. It also has a coolant issue, its not hooked up and since my carb doesn't have a port for it im wondering where else to put it...

Fan on the radiator doesn't turn on as its probably not hooked up properly.

Anyone that has an idea what could be causing the backfire and where i could route my coolant hose to? Any help is appriciated!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: 89 Accord Weber 32/36 swap backfire

Uh check timing? Not sure how the carb itself would cause that.

Just loop the coolant lines together, plug the small one.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by McSchwagginz View Post
    Hiya,

This weekend i got my car running with a Weber 32/36 kit for my 89 Accord. After getting it running using my little peanut brain and some common sense it ran perfectly fine on 1k RPM's. Though when i shut it off it backfired into the intake manifold. It also has a coolant issue, its not hooked up and since my carb doesn't have a port for it im wondering where else to put it...

Fan on the radiator doesn't turn on as its probably not hooked up properly.

Anyone that has an idea what could be causing the backfire and where i could route my coolant hose to? Any help is appriciated!
    High idle like that I bet you into the main circuit of the carb and thats the back fire when you shut it off.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord

I would say 1K rpm's is fine right? Thought about this but I thought 1k should be fine and not be the cause.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord

Totally should check the timing, your right. Haven't gotten to that yet but its definetly on the list.

When u say loop the coolant lines, where would they end up plugging into? As they used to go into the back of the OEM carb.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

There should be 3 coolant lines, a small one from the stock carb that needs to be plugged, and two big ones off the intake manifold, connect those two together. It should connect the large coolant pipe on the back of the engine to the thermostat housing

Vehicle
    1989 Accord

Thanks so much ShiRen, ill have a look into it tonight! First ill locate them and give an update when i've looped them.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord

Currently checking the hoses out, located the 2 big hoses and the small one was already plugged. When u talk about the pipe wich i should loop it to, i see a pipe running underneath my intake manifold, this is a different one from my thermostat housing wich sits above the pipe. The thermostat housing has the other big hose.

Do i loop them to the one running under the intake manifold? Or do I loop it to the thermostat housing?

I know u mentioned to the thermostat housing but i do not see a pipe attached to that, only running underneath it.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Join them together, from the coolant pipe to the thermostat housing. That is the radiator bypass route, so the coolant isn't dead heading on the thermostat when it's closed

It's the one under the intake, goes into the suction side of the water pump

The pipe underneath the thermostat housing is the pressure side of the heater core, so you don't want to touch that route
    Last edited by ShiRen; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord

Thats the one i though it was, thanks so much! I also found out my EGR valve wasn't plugged when i had it started. Might've been the reason for it to backfire on me. Im gonna refill coolant and loop my coolant lines to the pipe under the intake. I'll let u know!