Thread: temperature gauge not moving/spedometer stopped moving

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lxi

temperature gauge not moving/spedometer stopped moving

Hello everyone im a newbie on here lol. Last year i bought an 1989 lx and too say its been a little challenging is an understatement. Ive been making progress and pushing through setbacks but im stuck on this temperature gauge. i had to install a new radiator a few months back and last week i put in the new thermostat, in the middle of those 2 getting done i stopped getting temp but still got hot/cold air. is this something i need to stress fixing and how is it affecting the car by not working? im not sure if the fans wont kick on at high temps or what, but anyways how do i even go about fixing it? Also my spedometer gave out on me about a week or two ago and im pretty sure i need a spedo cable, could someone confirm?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: temperature gauge not moving/spedometer stopped moving

The sensor for the temp gauge is the single wire on the thermostat housing. Usually its point towards the back of the car. You may have forgotten to plug it back up?

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthre...-Clarification

There are pictures in this thread might help you.

The speedometer I would make sure the cable is plugged into the transmission well. Its all mechanical on these cars.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Haha don't be so sure it's on the thermostat housing. On my car it was in the bottom tank of the radiator. On the engine from my old donor car it's on the back of the block.

Make sure the Speedo cable is fully seated and clipped in. Also if your Speedo was previously noisy or jumpy the clutches or gears may have gone out in the actual gauge.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 06-05-2024 at 05:32 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lxi

thanks for your help! im currently locating where everything is and what i need to do to keep her pushing, my spedo cluster was working fine before it went out so im assuming it just fell out of place due to some older trans work, tommorow im making sure and finding that temp gauge wire