Thread: what does brake fluid look/smell/feel like, i have a leak of something..

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i coupe, Auto

what does brake fluid look/smell/feel like, i have a leak of something..

hey, whats up everyone? I have posted in a really long time, been too busy. Anyways, i came home from college for labor day weekend and i noticed that after i got back, my car is leaking something. Its leaking underneath the passenger side, behind the wheel well. The fluid looks and feels like water to me, and there is no scent. Can anyone guess what this is? I have to get this fixed immediately b/c i have a 3 hour drive back on monday. thanks
    "Turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white." - Barack Obama

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Brake fluid is clear. I don't suggest to taste it, but I don't recall a smell either. I can tell you what brake cleaner smells like

Coolant is green for our cars and is sweet smelling and has a sweet taste to it. You can taste a very small bit of that (tip of your tongue on your finger taste). Just don't go drinking a jug buddy

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i coupe, Auto
    my dad just got home from work and we concluded that it was condensation from my a/c since i was blasting it all the way home. The liquid is dripping from an open ended hose underneath my engine. Am i right in assuming thats what this hose was made for?
    "Turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white." - Barack Obama

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Well I know on my g/f's Ponitac Sunbird that I just got done fixing today it has a dump tube for coolant and condensation. Her heater core went out last night and coolant was everywhere and I was like OMG I just rebuilt her entire motor in July!!! Well I went to Autozone and told them I need a tube to bypass the heater core so it wouldn't leak anymore. Well it just so happens they make a heater hose adapter for that. Well I connected the coolant in and coolant out tube from the heater core and viola! It works fine. She just won't have heat until I get a chance to bring it into the shop at school. I would say if you were blasting the A/C it's just condensation. Well now you got a little lesson that you probably didn't want to know

Tip of the Day: Don't buy any GM pile of Crap Hondas4Life

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    brake fluid is clear, it does'nt smeel sweet (anti-freeze), oil (burning smell), transmission, ehhh i can't determine that smell, brake fluid smell id very destinctive, i wish i could tell ya.
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

SEi User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    Well I know on my g/f's Ponitac Sunbird that I just got done fixing today it has a dump tube for coolant and condensation. Her heater core went out last night and coolant was everywhere and I was like OMG I just rebuilt her entire motor in July!!! Well I went to Autozone and told them I need a tube to bypass the heater core so it wouldn't leak anymore. Well it just so happens they make a heater hose adapter for that. Well I connected the coolant in and coolant out tube from the heater core and viola! It works fine. She just won't have heat until I get a chance to bring it into the shop at school. I would say if you were blasting the A/C it's just condensation. Well now you got a little lesson that you probably didn't want to know

HAHAHA how is that tip of the day?
    guess what buddy. that happend to me 5 months ago in my 3rd gen

so before you say this..
    think that thangs like that go wrong in any vehicle

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    it should be : don't buy any ford motor pile of crap.
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i'd be willing to bet its just condensation from the A/C. Brake fluid usuall has a goldish brown tint to it unless its been replaced VERY recently.
    -- Caleb --
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    That little dump tube goes right to the A/C evaporator. I noticed it hanging there when I pulled my A/C out. It's just water dripping out. No need to worry.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's89AccordLX

Hey mike I don't think you used the word "well" enough in your reply.

I vote for condensation as well.